Saturday, August 15, 2009

Help a Homeless Apostle (1 Cor. 4:11)

To the present hour we are hungry and thirsty, poorly clothed, brutally treated, and without a roof over our heads. (1Co 4:11 NET)

Yesterday I volunteered at a Homeless shelter. The majority of the folks were men who look poorly clothed and were hungry. This morning I was reading 1 Corinthians and saw this passage in a new light. The men who were privilaged with the revelation of the Incarnation of Yahwah were hungry, thirsty, poorly clothed, roughly treated, and homeless. What a contrast to the modern purveyor of American Christianity. Today's modern preacher full of pomp and glory. Boasting of his private jet and luxury car. Clearly the Apostles were not living their best life now! Indeed, if you are living your best life now heaven will be a letdown. But what about me! I have a nice home, a full stomach, a working car (just barely) nice clothing, etc... What about me? Have I renounced all things to follow Christ? I don't think so! Let us examine ourselves to see if we are worthy of the call.


Paul would go on to refer to himself, and the other apostles, as the scum of the earth. Than we are told to "be imitators of me." (1 Cor. 4:16). How do I imitate Paul? Go hungry, become scum, wear poor clothing, become homeless? These are hard realizations. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment